Use this The Pursuit of Happyness movie study to learn about the life of Chris Gardner, an American businessman who overcame homelessness.
Disclaimer: Some of the following links are affiliate links. I make a small commission from some of the links on this site. You can read my full disclosure here.
5 Lessons from The Pursuit of Happyness
- “People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you, you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.”
- “You got a dream. You gotta protect it.”
- “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.”
- “Wealth can also be that attitude of gratitude with which we remind ourselves everyday to count our blessings.”
- “Don’t just talk that talk, walk it and go forward. Also, the walk didn’t have to be long strides; baby steps counted too. Go forward.”
The Pursuit of Happyness Movie Study
The Pursuit of Happyness is an inspirational movie about the life of Chris Gardner! Despite having so many odds against him, he put everything on the line out of true belief in himself, landing him a position at a prestigious brokerage firm. This movie guide is designed to get students thinking more about success, hard work, homelessness, attitude, and pride and humility.
There are 15 pages plus an answer key.
- Pre Viewing Questions
- Discussion Questions (2 ways)
- Traits of Chris organizer
- Themes graphic organizer
THE TRUE STORY
- Chris Gardner’s Life (reading comprehension + quiz)
- Fact vs Fiction (the movie vs real life)
- Homelessness and Poverty in the US
- Homelessness Scenario
- Chris’ Attitude
- Pride and Humility
- What is happiness?