Here is a list of educational movies and documentaries on YouTube, as of May 2014. Most of the PG-13 movies are OK for kids 12+, PG 8+, G for everybody. All of the following films contain little sexual content and little profanity. There may be moderate violence, as of course, this is history.
NOTE: If links do not work, try looking them up on YouTube.
- Samantha: An American Girl Holiday – 2004 – G – Great American Girl movie, set in 1904
- Molly: An American Girl – 2006 – G – Homefront WWII, 1944
- One Night With the King – 2006 – PG – the biblical story of Esther!
- The Hiding Place – 1975 – PG – The story of a Christian during the Holocaust.
- Sophie Scholl: The Final Days – 2005 – PG – This is not really graphic, and it is a true story. Sophie, her brother, and some friends spread anti-Nazi pamphlets during WWII. This is the incredible true story.
- Anne Frank: The Whole Story – 2001 – the Anne Frank story.
- Helen Keller: The Story of My Life –
- Hidden in Silence – 1996 – PG-13 – The true story of faith and courage – a Polish teen and her younger sister hide 13 Jews in their attic for 2.5 years against the Nazis.
- Escape From Sobibor – 1987 – PG-13 – A made-for-TV film about the true story of how 300 out of 600 prisoners successfully escaped a Nazi concentration camp, Sobibor. The only scene I would recommend skipping/fast-forwarding is 45 minutes into it, when Shlomo’s brother goes to get gold, and heads face to face with a gas chamber. This scene has full nudity. Other scenes include a hanging and bloody corpses. Other than that, fantastic film worth viewing.
- Icon of Power: Napoleon Bonaparte – History Channel – Documentary of Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Famine to Freedom* – The Irish Potato Famine
- Custer’s Last Stand* – History Channel – 1876
- Death of a Dream* – A&E – The sinking of the Titanic
- Secrets of WWI* – History Channel – WWI
- WWI in Color series* – WWI colorized
- 42 Ways To Kill Hitler – National Geographic – examining the 42 known assassination of Adolf Hitler
- Pearl Harbor: The Untold Story* – History Channel – Pearl Harbor
- Vietnam in HD* – History Channel – Vietnam War
- Manhunt: The Search for Osama Bin Ladin* – Military Channel – Osama bin Ladin
PBS has a series called Secrets of the Dead, which they have uploaded on their website. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/category/episodes/ It has a ton of great history docudramas. (Watch Escape From Auschwitz…a great story about two great heroes)